Sunday, 22 June 2014

Ranting at Apple From Y2K

Found this while digging though paperwork. It's from February 2000.

MacUser Feb 2000


It's odd timing.  Apple's online 'services' have always been pretty poor - who remembers e-World (20 years old this week! - just me then...)?

I've just replaced some iThings, and it was a wonderful, seamless experience - back up a device, switch it off, plug in the new one, and boom - all up and running thanks to iCloud.  But still...  I've got a standard account (even though I pay an extra $35 per year for iTunes Match), so I can only back up 5Gb total from all my devices. That's pretty mean when OneDrive, DropBox, Google and who knows else will give you 10+Gb for free.

And the data on my iPhone is important; it's photos.

I've got back ups of back ups of servers, web sites, family finances, and whatever else on my server at home - but photos are different. No source control or incremental backups here, if that phones gone before it hits WiFi or gets home, it's game over.

Then... Finally, amongst last weeks WWDC announcements Apple stepped up their game.  With the next versions of iOS and OSX, we'll get unlimited storage of images created on iThings. Whatever we create will get backed up, and stay backed up on Apples servers. OK, it's got privacy issues, but for once lets regard it as a great free service and not an invite to the NSA to look over our stuff. The Powers that Be can happily look over photos of my BBQs, I've nothing to hide. YMMV.

So, maybe my moan from 14 years ago gave someone a nudge to look into doing things better. Probably not, but it's reminded me of my dealings with one Steven P Jobs in the adventure I call "Steve Jobs, A Grumpy Email, and the Mac Than Can't Die".


No comments:

Post a Comment